Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tumbling Together

I'm not sure why, but when Abigail was born, I thought that within a week or so we'd be doing girl things together: nails, walks, reading, and probably cooking. Well, we had a lot of together time, but it wasn't quite like that.
Fast forward ten years and one thing I had never thought of doing together was gymnastics. My last competition was about 25 years ago and I had no expectations of getting back into it. This year, I was fortunate enough to find an adult gymnastics class in the same gym where Abigail is about to become part of a competitive team. What a great experience to be able to speak the same "language" as my daughter and share a sport where we both are able to feel the freedom and exhilaration of flying through the air. We can relate to each other beyond our daily routine and I understand both her drive and motivation with gymnastics.
To that end, I have moved a tumbling mat, temporarily, into our family room so I can help her with some tumbling before school. Something I envisioned when she was a baby? No. Something I will forever cherish? Absolutely.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you are able to share something you both enjoy. I used to do gymnastics back when I was at school and went for my Iron and Bronze Badges, but thats all. Not sure if you realised I have awarded you the Sunshine and Kreative Awards which you can pick up from my blog, here is the link...
    http://thepatientdreamer.com/2012/03/07/the-kreativ-and-sunshine-awards/ Congratuations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, we'd love to hear what you have to say.